In November of 2009, state, county, and city officials attended the groundbreaking ceremonies for the Industrial Parkway Improvement Project. A project which began with a series of studies, including interchange modification studies, environmental studies, right-of-way surveys, engineering design, and construction drawing creation, actually began as early as 2006. The Ohio Department of Transporation (ODOT) approved the study which would allow the city to build modern roundabouts to provide intersection control at the end of the off-ramps from US 33.
The improvements and upgrades are said to handle projected traffic volumes in the area for the next twenty five years. The changes also facilitate the opening of the Central Ohio Innovation Center and the opening of the Dublin Methodist Hospital.
Because not everyone is familiar with driving on roundabouts, and disabled drivers in particular need to be as prepared as possible while driving or riding, here is some information about how these changes will affect people with disabilities driving in this area.
1. Driving on Roundabouts
Here is part 1 of a 5 part series on driving roundabouts. The other 4 parts are available on YouTube. Familiarize yourself with what a roundabout is and how you drive on one BEFORE you attempt to drive one.
Driving on roundabouts requires that you be able to see on all sides of your vehicle, particularly in your blind spots. See our blog about how to make sure the mirrors in your wheelchair van are adjusted properly.
How Disabled Drivers Can Properly Adjust Wheelchair Van Mirrors
3. How to Get to Our Plain City (Columbus) Ohio Store Now
The changes have slightly affected the way our customers get to our Columbus Mobility Dealership. Here are directions for how to get to our mobility shop in Plain City:
- Take US-33 W/ OH-161 W Exit 17B toward Marysville
- Take the OH-161/ Post Rd. exit toward Plain City
- Turn Left onto OH-161/ Post Rd.
- Go thru the traffic light and turn slight right on the first roundabout. You will see a sign that reads Industrial Parkway
- Keep going straight into the second roundabout
- Once thru the second roundabout, you will be on Industrial Parkway
- 7233 Industrial Pkwy is a quarter of a mile down on your left hand side
Remember, M.C. Mobility Systems is here to help. If you need assistance with driving while disabled, making sure your handicap equipment is properly adjusted for driving, or just navigating the local area, we are here to get you there.